Friday, April 13, 2007

Lazy


Lazy. That's just how I feel today. After about 10 days of having somewhere to go and something to do, I have finally arranged a day where I can stay home. Usually I like going places and doing things, but once in a while a day at home is nice.


The problem with that is that, when I'm home all day, I feel as if I should be doing something productive, even if it only takes an hour or so. About the only day I don't feel that way is Sunday. When I retired, I was afraid I would fall into a pattern of doing nothing productive all the time, so I told myself that I would spend at least an hour a day when I was at home doing something in the way of cleaning or laundry or something like that. Of course, I actually should spend a lot more time than that, but I am not a big fan of cleaning, so I figure if I can devote at least an hour a day to it, I'm doing well.


Well, I got up late this morning because I just kept turning the snooze on and finally just turned it off. I woke up a half hour later. I just didn't seem to have any energy and didn't feel like doing anything except settling in my chair with a good book. However, I had told myself yesterday that I would clean my kitchen surfaces. I wrestled with this in my head, and I finally decided I must get up and do what I'd said I would. I spent an hour in the kitchen polishing and scrubbing the appliances and countertops. Aren't I virtuous?


So now I feel I can relax and read the rest of the afternoon. I haven't had enough time to read this week, and I am really looking forward to maybe finishing the book, "Nineteen Minutes," by Jodi Picoult. Of course, this will depend on my better half sleeping the afternoon away, or he will talk and talk and I won't finish it after all. We'll see.


Meanwhile, here is a picture of my latest Monday effort. It's taken from one of Alissa's photos.
edited to add: I finished the book by 5 o'clock. Hooray! I'm ready to rejoin the race again...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those Jodi Picoult books always leave me feeling drained. I enjoy reading them, but they require alot of thought.

Relax. There's no one there to see if the kitchen is clean. If you REALLY need to feel productive, I've got a house that needs cleaning...

Anonymous said...

Oh, and if anyone wants to see the original photo so you can see how good this painting really is, you can see it here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/alissaspics/354310396/in/set-72057594055739626/

Susan said...

Beautiful work...I have no artistic talent at all and am very envious of people who do...

Susie said...

Nancy,
I remember seeing this photo on Alissa's. When I saw it in this post I seriously thought it was the photo again. Your painting is that good!!!
Girlfriend, you've got talent!!
I'm so impressed!!
xoxo