Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Peeves

Yesterday I had written this very eloquent (you'll have to take my word for it) post about the hysteria in weather forecasts lately, and I even included a picture. The picture was apparently my downfall, because after I added it, everything froze up and I couldn't publish the thing. I don't feel like writing the whole thing over, so you just get a list of peeves today--nothing big, just irritants, I guess. Here they are, in no particular order:

  1. Computers that freeze up just when you have finished writing something and before you can save it
  2. Weather forecasts as major news that are full of hysteria about the cold and snow, which occurs every year anyway
  3. Cold weather
  4. A school bus -with kids on board-that roars down our little dead end road 6 times a day at a speed of anywhere from 40-50 mph
  5. People who drop trash on the ground, even when there is a trashcan a few feet away
  6. People who, when you hold the door open for them, breeze right on through without a thank-you or even noticing the peon who is helping them out
  7. Sales clerks who won't respond in kind to pleasantness
  8. People traveling up and down I-65 going all kinds of interesting places, while I drive the same 30-mile stretch over and over and over...
  9. Books that don't have a happy ending
  10. Misspelled words that are published in the newspaper or on television graphics
  11. Newscasters who routinely mispronounce words or make up new politically correct pronunciations
  12. People who say "hisself" and "theirselves" or "I done that" and other blatantly ungrammatical things ( I AM a retired teacher, after all.)
  13. Humongous salaries of sports figures and movie stars, many of whom are very poor role models
  14. The constant diet ads and articles that are designed to make you feel unhealthy and unattractive
  15. Did I mention cold weather?

I guess that's the worst I can come up with, and it's not so bad. If that's the worst life has to offer me, then I know I have much for which to be grateful. I'll save that for another post, though. Life is good!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Um, I read the whole thing. I can't get past the fact that you used the word "peon".

I am laughing quite loudly right now.

Susie said...

Well..at least you ended with "Life is good" :)
Some of these same things have also irritated me as well.
The weather forecasters can really miss the mark at times, can't they!
The computer freezing up would really make me annoyed, especially after going to all that work. Hopefully it got that little problem out of its system!
:)