Monday, November 05, 2007

No Monday Muse Today

When I started going to the library to paint on Mondays, I told Terry that I would only go when we had nothing else going on. Today we had a good reason for me to skip the painting session. The old guy went to sign up for his Social Security benefits. Since he retired nine years ago, he has been receiving a stipend from his company that filled in for his social security benefits that he was too young to receive. However, he is one of the first baby boomers, having been born in early January of 1946. I guess he is among the first wave of our generation, the one who is going to bust Social Security. Too bad for the rest of you! The substitute stipend that he has been receiving has not grown since he started getting it, not going up with the cost of living, as Social Security has. He found out today that he will be receiving almost $500 a month more than he is presently getting. We were thinking more like $400, so this was a pleasant surprise. He always told me that when he starts receiving his Social Security, I get to have a new car. I was going to get $200 of the raise to put toward a car payment, but maybe now we can afford a little more. I am hoping to get a new Saturn with a sunroof and OnStar. He would like me to look for a used car, but I got a used car the last time, so this time I want a new one. Of course, as long as it isn't a clunky old pewter Blazer that is 3 years old, I guess I should be grateful, but after all, when he got a truck last year, he got a new one. We won't be looking until after the first of the year, so I'll let you know what I finally end up with. Meanwhile, life is good! :)

2 comments:

Susie said...

Glad you got a pleasant surprise on the SS benefits. Because Bill draws a government pension any social security he will earn is cut by 2/3.
Fun, huh!
Your new car sounds nice. Hope you can find what you're looking for!
(once you start looking!)
xoxo

Anonymous said...

The Saturn's are cute. Be sure to choose a fun color :-)